Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Birthday to be Remembered

It was Daryl’s birthday today and I always try to make it special for him, in some kind of way. A day before his birthday I went to buy him some slippers/shoes he wanted. I took Paiglee and she also got a pair of shoes since it was the buy one get one half off. Then she was able to get some candy out of the candy cart thing they have in the mall. I was really hoping to surprise Daryl with the slippers because he wouldn’t break down and buy them for himself. Plus I didn’t think he would be expecting anything since we had agreed to cut on certain expenses this year and to keep things simple.

I made him a pecan pie and turns out I left a little too long in the oven, ugh. Then when he came home for work I had his gift and card that Paiglee and I made him waiting on the table. He got a huge grin on his face when he saw the gift, but turns out it wasn’t out of surprise. While he was opening his gift Paiglee blurts out “its shoes” I said “Paiglee you aren’t suppose to tell him before he gets the gift open”, “it ruins the surprise”. Daryl starts laughing and says, “Oh you have no idea”. And I said “you already knew or guessed I was getting them for you”? He said that the day before when they were taking a car ride Daryl was asking Paiglee about her day and just talking and I guess they drove past the mall and Paiglee says she went there today and got candy and pink and brown shoes. Daryl then came home and asked what all I did that day and I of course leave out the mall and so he knew then I had bought him shoes. He couldn’t decide whether to ruin my surprise then or on his Birthday. He luckily chose the right day to ruin it; because I at least had fun thinking I was going to surprise him. I was sad but really it is funny and I did turn to Paiglee and tell her that is the last time I include her on the surprises until she can’t be weaseled by her dad.

But we went to dinner and watched a movie and Daryl said at the end of the day it was a good birthday. So that is all that matters to me. Some of his co-workers also made the day special and got him some of his favorite things, Mt. Dew and some peanut M&M’s. I guess a bunch of teachers also told their classes it was Mr. Michael’s birthday so all day the kids were coming up to him. Then at lunch the whole lunchroom sang to him. I told him I wished I could have seen that because Daryl really is not one to be fussed over and he feels weird when people do it. But I know deep down he loved it, although he would never fully admit to it.

Also a neat tidbit so for those that don't know the winter solstice is on Daryl's birthday, and this year was the first time since 1638 I think that there was a full lunar eclipse on the winter solstice, and it won't be seen again on this date until 2094. I thought that was pretty cool, so this birthday will always be remembered in time and history as a special one. So although I can't make it a special one for him, the moon and stars can. Corny I know, but I make myself laugh.





1 comment:

ERIN said...

Cute Cute... I love little kids, so funny!