Sunday, May 17, 2015

August 2013 Thermopolis Sister Trip

My sister Allison and I decided to take a little sister trip and go see my Grandma Nickelson, her health had just been going down slowly and we wanted more time with her.  Plus I had a project in the works and I needed to interview my Grandma.  I just had a lot of questions I wanted before I couldn't ask them again.  Allison drove to Rock Springs and then we headed to Thermopolis.  I am so glad I had this time with my sister my mom, and Grandma.  My grandma's house isn't what I remembered it to be just because she hasn't been able to keep up on it like she would like.  Ninety-nine years will do that to you.  My sister and I slept in my grandma's camper and stayed up talking.  Unfortunately she fell asleep to me talking to her.  She always does that!  Since my grandma wasn't able to keep up on things, there were little spiders every where and I hate spiders.  Well I was so afraid of the crack and crevices  that I slept with my hooded sweater all cinched up around my face and didn't move.  I ended up with a messed up back and neck from that weekend.  It was awful!  We went and walked around the hot springs, went and visited the graves of loved ones.  We spent a lot of time chatting and just enjoying the weekend.  It was also hard because my grandma's house has a soft spot in my childhood memories and what you remember and what it was, was so different it makes me sad.  But makes me cling to those memories even more, the nostalgia of them mean the world to me.  We hadn't been there for years lots and lots of years.  My grandma was living with my parents so there was never a big reason to go up to her house.  My mom told us of changes over the years but what you remember is kind of what you expect to see until you see it.  We went to the Hot Springs and they are even so different from what I remember, the amount of water has gone down.  The water wasn't flowing like we remembered.  It was really depressing, because those places are our childhood.  I didn't take a lot of pictures but  I am so glad we did the trip.     






No comments: