Saturday, November 22, 2008

Prop 8 Controversy (My opinion)

I have been thinking about this a ton lately, I don't know if it is because I get Utah news and it is all over the news or maybe because some of the biggest talk shows have had an episode about it.

But I do want to say I am glad it passed.

It has become a huge topic of discussion for many people whether religious or not. I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want my blog to pop up in a search engine. But I have a very strong opinion on the matter and want to express it. Plus I am mad that some people are dealing with the situation the way they are on both sides.

Now I want to say this first I do not look down upon the gay community, but I don't agree with their lifestyle I just tolerate it and that is all you can ask of me, because I will never accept it as being the norm. And I don't want it to affect my life, so if you can live your life whichever way you decide without bothering me go for it, but the minute it interferes with my life then I have a problem. So now I have a problem..


Side note: After receiving a comment I thought I should add this; I do believe that people that are gay are born that way. But this is where I differ from many, I do believe they choose to live that lifestyle. I view being gay as a trial that some people have to face just like some alcoholics, or drug addicts choose that lifestyle by their actions. I believe just like alcoholics choose to drink or not, people who have gay tendencies choose that act. I do not claim that I know how hard it must be to have gay tendencies just like I have no clue how hard it is for alcoholics to resist a drink. But just like everyone else I have trails, temptations or whatever you want to call them, that I too must resist to live my life in accordance with the gospel. So although you didn't choose to be born gay you do choose to live that life style, just as an alcoholic would choose to drink. I hope this does not come off as being insensitive, but this is what I believe.

In the church I attend (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) we have been told that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe this, I stand by it, and I live it. That is the end no more discussion.

Now I know not everyone goes to the same church or may not even believe the same thing. So here is my thing. Before this whole Prop 8 thing I heard a lot of people in the gay community whether on TV or in person say we want the rights that Married couples get and that is it. But now we have this whole Prop 8 deal and now they say they want to be able to be married. Now I know you can get a civil marriage but it doesn't have the same benefits as Marriage. So here is my thing Why don't we leave the whole marriage thing alone let it remain between a woman and a man but give the gay community all the rights that come along with being married like filing taxes jointly and whatever other great benefits come with it. If we can find a way to give them those rights that they say they are being denied without using the word marriage or it being considered a marriage then let’s do it so everyone will stop complaining including myself.

Now if you are in the gay community fighting for the word marriage and the marriage we now perform for straight couples well then I feel like you might just be fighting to fight. I have always thought it was the rights they wanted not the marriage because if it is the rights let’s give them to them (so they can file jointly and whatever else) but use a different word than marriage and it won't be the same thing as marriage but it gives you the same rights as marriage. Does that make sense, and then hopefully we will all be happy and no one is stepping on anyone else's toes.
Note: Very Important
Proposition 8 was a California State ballot proposition that amended the state Constitution to restrict the definition of marriage to a union between a man and a woman, that was it no rights are being taken away. Just the word marriage and the act of marriage and I guess the rights of joint taxes etc. But you could have that if you were to marry the opposite sex. So no rights have been taken or denied, they are still there you are just choosing not to use them the way the state constitution has intended them to be used. So if you are fighting for the same marriage as man and woman, I don't feel for you because it isn't the same nor should it be treated the same but I do feel we should get you the rights that go along with it since you are choosing not to do it the way that was mapped out.

Now I do want to touch on something I am pretty upset about. I am so upset that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has somehow become a target for the No on Prop 8 side to point the finger or use as a punching bag. Now first I am not a spokes person for the church nor will I pretend I am but I would like to believe I live my life as best I can in accordance to what they believe (I am not perfect and do not pretend to be). But the church has been pointed out because of our beliefs and supporting the passing of Proposition 8. I think it needs to be made clear that it wasn't only LDS people who passed prop 8 it was all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds. So drop the bashing of the church.

Now this is another thing that gets under my skin. I believe the whole reason The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are taking the lashing is because of Steve Young's wife. I don't know what she is in California or why her opinion matters so much to be making national television but it did. She is against Prop 8 I guess because a brother of hers is gay or something like that, who cares in my opinion. So she got heat from church members because of it, it was big talk on Utah news. Then the church's name seemed to be pulled into this battle over Prop 8 shortly thereafter.

So here is my problem, my problem lies with church members who disagree with the churches stance on something who let it be known publicly. You know this could have been avoided if the Young people would keep their religion out of it. And if that means don't let people know then so be it. First I find it really weird that she is for gay marriage especially since the First presidency came out with The Proclamation to the Family that says in black and white what the church stands for so in return we should stand for ( I would totally put in quotes what it states in the proclamation but I have seemed to miss place it in the move). It just doesn't sit right with me (and this is my own issue and that is why I am writing about it, because I can). So I guess what I am trying to say is if you don't agree with the church and you are an "attending member" don't let people know you attend the church why you ask? Great question, because I feel we should live our lives in accordance with the gospel and we should be an example and by publicly disagreeing with the church over such a huge matter is bad light shining on the church. I am not down with that and I actually get really offended.

Now something else I want to bring to light for some people that may have not looked at the big picture and for those who have this will be a review. If the state of California were to have not passed Prop 8, not so good things could happen for churches and schools of all kinds. First churches could end up having lawsuits on their hands because they won't perform gay marriages because that is discrimination or whatever. Then schools would have to rewrite texts so that they teach about same sex and opposite sex marriages. Then they will have to get rid of books that say marriage only between a women and a man or imply that because of discrimination and whatever. First no church should be told they have to perform same sex marriages. Second I don't want my kids when they get to school to learn about same sex marriage, why? Just because I said so.

So in conclusion this is a big mess and I have a simple solution as I have stated. I just hope that both sides pro or against prop 8 will somehow find a way to tolerate (not accept) the other side’s view or opinion without violence or acts of malice. So everyone get your panties out of a bunch and calm down, you are driving me crazy.

BAM! The end.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Interesting post. I have such mixed feelings about it honestly. Like Steve Young's wife, I have a brother who is gay. It has TOTALLY changed my views on what being gay means. He did not choose it. He prayed for years for it to be taken away from him. He nor I understand why he has this trial. It probably isn't right for them to be civilly married, but how hard would that be? For society and the church to tell you your feelings are evil and wrong? I don't judge anymore. I'm glad you said you didn't judge them either. It's such an intense and complex issue!