Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dedicated to Rhoda Carmen

This weekend has been a long one. Last Tuesday we found out that Daryl's Grandma passed away Tuesday morning. I am sure it was welcomed by Rhoda. She was not very comfortable and pretty much wanted to go. She is missed by so many who she left behind but we all know she is in a much better place and it was something she wanted. None the less it is never easy to say goodbye to someone you love. Plus she was full of life and she was always fun to visit with.

We left Thursday night to make it to the funeral services on Friday. We had planned to stay with my parents but since we had a late start we decided we would rather drive to Cheyenne that night rather than early the next morning. Daryl's parents reserved us a room at their hotel and well the night was rough. Paiglee didn't go to sleep until around 1am. Then she was up bright and early at 7am. So we were all dead tired the following day. The funeral services were wonderful and well it was just sad to think that Rhoda was really gone and that this was her funeral we were attending. I did get to meet Rhoda's sister and at first glance I swore it was Rhoda sitting in the chair. I was overcome with emotion in the family prayer and tried my hardest not to let the tears spill over my eyes because I wasn't wearing waterproof mascara (I forgot to bring it). We then went to the burial site and said our goodbyes and talked. We then went back to the church for lunch that was provided by Rhoda's ward.

Rhoda was a spit fire she was full of life and she was quick witted. She was always ready to give her opinion. She was very attentive, I remember one time while visiting her Daryl and her were talking and I was off in my own world watching Paiglee when she was a baby and Rhoda broke mid conversation to ask me if I was nervous or anxious or had somewhere to go. I looked at her puzzled and said nooo...and she said well why then are you bobbling your leg (cause I was sitting cross legged and rocking it) I didn't even notice I was doing it and said oh I didn't know and she said well that is usually a sign of boredom or nervousness/anxiousness. I looked at her like oh no she thinks I am bored being here. I quickly said oh no I do it all the time it is a thing of comfort for me and I don't notice I am doing it. She was very aware and not shy to voice her concerns and her opinion. I would have to say that is by far one of my favorite traits she had. She is going to be missed deeply by all who love her. She lived a great life and she was always willing to share her life with others and she had stories to tell all day. She was up front and sassy, my kind of woman. Although I only knew her for the 4 short years I have been with Daryl I loved her and I will miss her deeply. Daryl and I always made trips to Cheyenne especially to see her when we could. Although we weren't able to go as much once Paiglee was walking and terrorizing things. I am really going to miss visiting her and having family gatherings at her home. She was the gathering place where family came to meet. I can't express enough how much she is going to be missed.





We Spent the rest of our time in Cheyenne with Daryl's family. It was nice to see them again we always enjoy them and their company. We did get a chance on our way home to see friends in Laramie by cahnce at Walmart and then ended up staying for dinner. It did make me miss Laramie for that one reason I miss our friends we have there. Plus when Giana and Connor saw Paiglee they were so excited I mean like way excited to see her and Giana just held Paiglee's hand and well it made me sad cause Paiglee had great friends in Laramie and there aren't as many here. It was a good trip but we are just really tired from it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry about your guys' grandma. Justin is sad too. He also really liked her cause she was feisty.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your lose. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Our Future Rooted in Our Past said...

Emily, thank you for the nice tribute to Mom. You are such a sweet heart. It was great seeing you, Daryl and little Paiglee at the funeral.