Saturday, March 28, 2009

Book of Mormon

So a week or so ago I decided I was going to start reading the Book of Mormon daily, on my own. This isn't my first time reading it actually I have read it a ton, but other than this time it will only be my second time reading the Book of Mormon cover to cover. The first time was when President Hinckley urged every church member to read it by the end of the year a while ago. I read it, understood it, enjoyed it, and knew then that it was another testament of Jesus Christ. But I didn't have to read it cover to cover to know this, I have just always known. But I have to say not until I started reading it this second go around (this time) that I know without a reason that the Book of Mormon was translated by the Prophet Joseph Smith and that it is another testament of Jesus Christ. I am only in 2 Nephi but I have never felt such a burning as I do this time around. I have never wanted to turn every single page like I do now. I don't know what it is that clicked inside me or whatever it be but I am usually engrossed in the book while I read. I understand it at a much different level than any other time reading it. I see the picture in my head; I hear the voice that I am reading, which wasn't nearly this strong ever.

I have always believed the Book of Mormon to be true, but I really can't describe it this time, I have to mention my gratitude for this book each time I do my personal prayers, which I have never really been compelled to do before with such strong intent. I have just had a totally different experience this time around and I love it. I am getting so much out of it, and I can finally say that I have a true testimony of the Book of Mormon. I truly wish I could put the feeling I get when I read and when I have finished reading, it is comforting, it is warm and I just know without a doubt that it is another testament of Jesus Christ. I also am getting the stories, which I have always had a hard time keeping straight, I am getting who is talking, where before I couldn't tell whether it was the Lord or the Prophet, all of it usually jumbled together. The time line was hard to keep straight for me. But this time around it is all clicking, not that I didn't get it before but the big picture is there now. I also am getting to know my Heavenly Father more through this than I thought possible. I have found him to have a sense of humor, or what I think is humor. I am just really grateful for the Book of Mormon and the time I am taking to read it, which has lead to a greater understanding than before. I am grateful that by reading the Book of Mormon it has only added to my testimony and re-testified to me that what I have always known to be truthfulness is indeed true. It really is a great feeling a sense of peace within and that everything is okay.

Here is a clip from Mormon messages off YouTube that I thought was pretty good.


5 comments:

Sarah said...

You just made my day, Em. Thanks for this post. :)

Samantha said...

Thank you for your good example and for sharing your testimony! You are awesome and I love ya!

Aspen said...

We are reading the Book of Mormon as Young Women in our ward, as fast as Joseph Smith translated it. (Which is 59 days) It sounds like you might beat us!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I wish you were here so you could come and tell my YW this story!!!

Beth said...

Look at you. You're the best. Glad you're on top of things. Love ya

Beth said...

You crack me up. That counter is for me because I can't ever remember. The thing that's weird though is I'm techinally 3 weeks behind that because my full term is 37 not 40 weeks. Either way it will help us both because whenever people ask I have no idea and I think they think I'm a weirdo. Also since I've got the two I'm bigger than a single at the same weeks so it will help me not feel like such a fatty.