Very long post
Well today started out like pretty much any other day but before it was even half way through it took a drastic turn for the worst. I went to the park to run and then usually after I let Paiglee play for a while. Well I had a lot on my plate today I was planning on calling some realtors and dealing with house stuff but before I even left the park I got a phone call from Slade Elementary School saying that Daryl had cut his finger and was on his way to the ER. I was a little taken back since I had not even talked to Daryl what seemed to be 10 minutes ago and I couldn't imagine a cut being so bad that you needed to be rushed to the ER. None the less I ran all the way home and loaded the car. I began to have so many thoughts as to what could have happened and I was in a rush to get there. After doing all the paper work for Daryl that the hospital needed they took me back. I walked in ER room # 6 and see Daryl holding an already blood soaked gauze to his finger with blood just dripping down his hand and arm. I asked him what happened and here is the story:
Daryl was suppose to sub for a first grade teacher but they switched last minute to put him in the Special ED room since most of those children have emotional and behavioral problems and he has worked with them before so he knows the routine pretty well. Well I guess one of the boys was misbehaving and as part of their protocol they give a warning and if the child continues to misbehave then they get their learning tools taken away and this boy was noncompliant and so Daryl told him he would go into the padded room for a 5 minute timeout the boy was still noncompliant and Daryl had to restrain him and put him in the room. He was going to leave the door open until the boy continued to fight back and so Daryl tried to put him in the far corner of the room while he ran out but on his second try the boy was right behind him and a teacher was holding the door for Daryl and Daryl couldn't move out of the way before the boy slammed the door shut on his finger. Now this door is not any door it is very heavy and magnetic. Well Daryl just gasped (he didn't even cuss, amazing considering what happened) then he cupped his hand and took off running to the nurses’ office he didn't say anything to anyone until he got to Susie the nurse. He put his hand in the sink and he looked and thought his finger nail was just yanked out a little because it was longer than his finger. There was too much blood to tell and Susie rushed him to the ER.
I couldn't believe what he told me, I just said does it hurt and he said no it is just throbbing. I had no idea how bad it really was until one of the ER nurses removed the gauze and I saw half of Daryl's finger tip was gone he only had his finger nail and so pretty much half of his finger print is gone. Well they did an X-ray and turns out that he also got some bone cut off too. Pretty much what I saw was when you cut someone’s finger in half I saw the bone in the middle then the muscle and skin around it. I had to turn around it was so bad; it made my adrenaline rush just looking at it. I took Paiglee to my amazing friend Sarah's so she could watch her for me and then went home to get the blood out of Daryl's new clothes we had just bought for him. (I was upset about this because we don't have money to buy a lot of clothes and these were for his new job). But luckily Sarah and Holly told me that peroxide takes blood right out and luckily Sarah had a huge bottle that she gave to me, that I am going to re-pay her for cause I used it all and it was a 32 fl oz. bottle just to give you an idea of how much blood I had to get out. But it worked and I am so grateful. I went back to the hospital to be with Daryl and meet my dad to give Daryl a blessing since IMH is not the best place to have surgery in my opinion. I began to get a ton of calls from Slade School wondering how Daryl was and what was going on and pretty much my phone didn't stop ringing until 4 or 5 this evening. Well turns out that the school called the police on the boy who did this to cover themselves and the officer was going to get a statement from Daryl. Daryl has no intentions of pressing charges since the boy is emotionally disturbed all he requested was that he gets an evaluation. But even though Daryl doesn't want to do anything to the boy the District still will to cover themselves for what happened which I think is fair but nothing too bad will happen. The boy did get suspended for the remainder of the year which is to me a great punishment. The principal and school counselor came to see Daryl and also the assistant super attendant. They all felt really bad and were very sorry and the principal said at one point I understand if you don't want to come back but Daryl said no if possible he would finish the school year with them. She was very shocked.
Daryl was inspected by the orthopedic doctor and they planned surgery for this evening. Daryl didn't feel pain until after the doctor poked at his finger. I couldn't believe it; I would have been screaming bloody murder. I stayed as long as I could with Daryl until I had to go home and shower before Paiglee needed picked up. Sarah was amazing she fed Paiglee for me and even got her to nap. Daryl had surgery at 6pm and was out at around 6:45pm and thank goodness Curt came to watch Paiglee for me so I could go up to the hospital. Daryl got out of surgery right when I got there and everything went great. I am not sure how they did it because Daryl didn't want to know or ask questions and now we just have to watch for infection since his bone was exposed for so long. But we are all back home and ready for the day to be over. It has been a very eventful day to say the least.
I am just so grateful for everyone's help and support today I really couldn't have done it without. I am grateful that it was only the tip of his finger and not the whole finger or his hand. I couldn't be happier though for the day to be done and hopefully have a normal day tomorrow. I am sad though that Daryl's finger may not be so pretty anymore. I always have thought he had great hands so manly and rough but also so soft that now he is just going to have a freaky finger. Oh also it is his left hand and his middle finger, also Daryl is left handed so he is out of commission that way. He is very disappointed that he may not be able to shoot when his brother Lyle gets here, he was looking forward to that. Plus we want to go camping this weekend so hopefully we still can. Oh and Daryl is very excited because he gets out of doing bath and washing dishes on his night and cooking dinner until his finger is better which could be up to 3 weeks. So I am sure I will be very burnt out with doing this all every night. And to think I almost felt sorry for him.; )
I have included some pictures of the actual finger all bloody so the queasy Beware.
I don't think the pictures do very much justice as to how bad it really was. They are hard to see the actual damage.
Daryl was suppose to sub for a first grade teacher but they switched last minute to put him in the Special ED room since most of those children have emotional and behavioral problems and he has worked with them before so he knows the routine pretty well. Well I guess one of the boys was misbehaving and as part of their protocol they give a warning and if the child continues to misbehave then they get their learning tools taken away and this boy was noncompliant and so Daryl told him he would go into the padded room for a 5 minute timeout the boy was still noncompliant and Daryl had to restrain him and put him in the room. He was going to leave the door open until the boy continued to fight back and so Daryl tried to put him in the far corner of the room while he ran out but on his second try the boy was right behind him and a teacher was holding the door for Daryl and Daryl couldn't move out of the way before the boy slammed the door shut on his finger. Now this door is not any door it is very heavy and magnetic. Well Daryl just gasped (he didn't even cuss, amazing considering what happened) then he cupped his hand and took off running to the nurses’ office he didn't say anything to anyone until he got to Susie the nurse. He put his hand in the sink and he looked and thought his finger nail was just yanked out a little because it was longer than his finger. There was too much blood to tell and Susie rushed him to the ER.
I couldn't believe what he told me, I just said does it hurt and he said no it is just throbbing. I had no idea how bad it really was until one of the ER nurses removed the gauze and I saw half of Daryl's finger tip was gone he only had his finger nail and so pretty much half of his finger print is gone. Well they did an X-ray and turns out that he also got some bone cut off too. Pretty much what I saw was when you cut someone’s finger in half I saw the bone in the middle then the muscle and skin around it. I had to turn around it was so bad; it made my adrenaline rush just looking at it. I took Paiglee to my amazing friend Sarah's so she could watch her for me and then went home to get the blood out of Daryl's new clothes we had just bought for him. (I was upset about this because we don't have money to buy a lot of clothes and these were for his new job). But luckily Sarah and Holly told me that peroxide takes blood right out and luckily Sarah had a huge bottle that she gave to me, that I am going to re-pay her for cause I used it all and it was a 32 fl oz. bottle just to give you an idea of how much blood I had to get out. But it worked and I am so grateful. I went back to the hospital to be with Daryl and meet my dad to give Daryl a blessing since IMH is not the best place to have surgery in my opinion. I began to get a ton of calls from Slade School wondering how Daryl was and what was going on and pretty much my phone didn't stop ringing until 4 or 5 this evening. Well turns out that the school called the police on the boy who did this to cover themselves and the officer was going to get a statement from Daryl. Daryl has no intentions of pressing charges since the boy is emotionally disturbed all he requested was that he gets an evaluation. But even though Daryl doesn't want to do anything to the boy the District still will to cover themselves for what happened which I think is fair but nothing too bad will happen. The boy did get suspended for the remainder of the year which is to me a great punishment. The principal and school counselor came to see Daryl and also the assistant super attendant. They all felt really bad and were very sorry and the principal said at one point I understand if you don't want to come back but Daryl said no if possible he would finish the school year with them. She was very shocked.
Daryl was inspected by the orthopedic doctor and they planned surgery for this evening. Daryl didn't feel pain until after the doctor poked at his finger. I couldn't believe it; I would have been screaming bloody murder. I stayed as long as I could with Daryl until I had to go home and shower before Paiglee needed picked up. Sarah was amazing she fed Paiglee for me and even got her to nap. Daryl had surgery at 6pm and was out at around 6:45pm and thank goodness Curt came to watch Paiglee for me so I could go up to the hospital. Daryl got out of surgery right when I got there and everything went great. I am not sure how they did it because Daryl didn't want to know or ask questions and now we just have to watch for infection since his bone was exposed for so long. But we are all back home and ready for the day to be over. It has been a very eventful day to say the least.
I am just so grateful for everyone's help and support today I really couldn't have done it without. I am grateful that it was only the tip of his finger and not the whole finger or his hand. I couldn't be happier though for the day to be done and hopefully have a normal day tomorrow. I am sad though that Daryl's finger may not be so pretty anymore. I always have thought he had great hands so manly and rough but also so soft that now he is just going to have a freaky finger. Oh also it is his left hand and his middle finger, also Daryl is left handed so he is out of commission that way. He is very disappointed that he may not be able to shoot when his brother Lyle gets here, he was looking forward to that. Plus we want to go camping this weekend so hopefully we still can. Oh and Daryl is very excited because he gets out of doing bath and washing dishes on his night and cooking dinner until his finger is better which could be up to 3 weeks. So I am sure I will be very burnt out with doing this all every night. And to think I almost felt sorry for him.; )
I have included some pictures of the actual finger all bloody so the queasy Beware.
I don't think the pictures do very much justice as to how bad it really was. They are hard to see the actual damage.
This is a side view, you can see about how much was cut off
This one you can see how long his nail is sticking up and the white spec in the middle is the bone
This one is kind of the same but you can see the bone a little better, you can see where is wedding ring was.
Daryl isn't too handicap to play video games though
He gets a kick out of doing this, was a boy. The bandage makes his finger look alot bigger than it will be. His middle finger will be shorter than the two next to it.
6 comments:
Those pictures are nasty. Justin looked at them, but I couldn't look to long or hard at them. Just talking to you on the phone about it made my stomach hurt. I don't do well when people get things cut off. I am glad that he is going to be okay. Were they pleased with how the surgery went? What did they end up doing?
Holy Crap! I'm glad everything got taken care of. That is just horrible. I hope he starts feeling better soon! That totally stinks!!! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with the house hunting. Take care!!
I guess this is sort of Daryl's ideal injury--he can flip people off without even trying! HA! Just kidding. I am glad he is okay and that I was able to watch Paiglee. She was a doll (and don't worry about the peroxide)!!
I'll take care of Daryl's request for baked goods tomorrow. :-) My husband agrees that is what the situation calls for (and he gets some cookies too, so he is happy).
Oh wow. That is so scary/sad. I was just at slade the other day subbing and Daryl showed me the padded rooms--crazy. I had to look at the pictures really fast because I get grossed out. Well I'm glad he's o.k.!!
Abby's been so concerned. She even told me she wanted to see Mr. Michael's finger. I wouldn't let her though. :o)
I'm glad that Daryl is ok. That is crazy. Just because I'm a mean person, was the kid's name Ian or Austin? Let me know...
Post a Comment